My husband and I recently purchased Rich Roll and Julie Piatt’s new cookbook The Plantpower Way. It is an amazing vegan cookbook and lifestyle book about healthy living for the body and mind. We decided to make the energy balls that are featured in their book. Dave decided to make them according to the recipe. I am tweeking my batch. These energy balls are a great source of energy, fiber, and iron! They are incredible easy to make! We put ours in the refrigerator because we like our sweets cold!
*The hemp seeds are a little pricey for an entire pound. We bought about 1/4 a pound of hemp seeds. Perfect amount!
Ingredients: Taken straight from The Plantpower Way cookbook
- 8 dates
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- sprinkle of sea salt
- 1/4 cup of cacao nibs
- 2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- 4 tablespoons of hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For my batch, I used the exact same ingredients above, but I added about 2 tablespoons of of sunflower seeds and about 2 tablespoons of black organic chia seeds for a little extra added energy.
1. Soak the dates for 30 minutes. Remove the pit if needed.
2. In a food processor, chop the walnuts until they develop a mealy texture.
3. Add the sea salt, cacao nibs, cacao powder, and 2 tablespoons of hemp seeds. Mix well in the food processor.
4. Add vanilla extract and dates to form a dough.
5. Roll the dough into small balls using your hands. If your hands get sticky, use a small amount of coconut oil or sunflower oil on your palms.
6. Use the remaining 2 tablespoons of hemp seeds to roll each ball to form an outer layer.
7. If you choose, place them in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Enjoy!