Chili is one of my favorite meals to make! Mainly because you can add whatever you have lying around ! I also love making chili because you can put everything in the slow cooker and let it simmer all day on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4 hours. My husband was really craving chili the other night. He is amazing because he will eat vegetarian during the week with me and most of the time on the weekends. He is the one I credit to this super delicious and protein-packed vegetarian chili.
– 1 can of organic black beans
– 1 can of organic red kidney beans
– 1 can of organic great northern white beans
– 1 can of yellow sweet corn
– 1 cup of whole grain brown rice
– 1 organic green pepper, diced
– 4 cups of vegetable broth
– 3 cups of water
– 1 organic white or sweet onion, diced
– 1 organic tomato, diced
– 1 cup of lentils
– 1/4 cup of chili powder
– salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring water to a boil in a small or medium size pot. Cook rice until almost fully cooked. The slow cooker will cook it the rest of the way, but starting it a little before is a good idea. Otherwise your rice will be slightly crunchy and undercooked.
2. Next, dice the green pepper, tomato, and onion. Place in slow cooker.
3. Pour the black beans, kidney beans, and white northern beans in a strainer. Rinse with warm water to remove the liquid from the cans. Then place in slow cooker. Mix all ingredients together.
4. Pour the vegetable broth and water in the slow cooker. Then put the lentils in the slow cooker.
5. Mix in the chili powder. If 1/4 cup is too much, adjust to your liking. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix all the ingredients together to ensure the chili is coated evenly.
6. If you are starting this meal in the morning, turn your slow cooker on low for 8-9 hours. If you are starting it in the afternoon, turn your slow cooker on high for 4 hours.
7. When it is ready to serve, top with shredded cheese and blue corn tortilla chips. Enjoy!