Hi folks! Well, it’s the middle of the week again and this is usually where everyone’s energy starts to fade. Luckily I am here for you! If you are stuck on what to make for dinner, start with simple ingredients and build upon their flavors! Usually on nights like this I start with the simplest of ingredients: rice and quinoa.
Serving size: 4
Time: 20-25 minutes
- 3/4 cup of rice
- 1/2 cup of quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups of organic white mushrooms
- a bunch of kale
- 1 cup of cooked edamame
- 1 cup of almonds, rinsed
- One head of broccoli
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 2 tsp of balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Rinse the quinoa in a strainer and set aside. Bring a pot of water to a boil with about 2 cups of water and 2 cups of vegetable broth. The vegetable broth gives the quinoa more flavor. Once the water is boiling, add the rice and quinoa. Stir immediately, then stir occasionally.
- Chop the broccoli and place on a pan with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place in oven for 12-15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion with olive oil. While the onion is cooking, bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the edamame and cook for about 5-6 minutes. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- Add the chopped mushrooms to the skillet with the onions and add the balsamic vinegar. Stir immediately. Add the chopped kale and let steam for about 1-2 minutes. Add a dash of salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the cooked edamame and soaked almonds to the skillet. Stir. Once the broccoli is cooked, add it to the skillet. Stir everything together and let it sit to blend all the favors evenly.
- Drain the rice and quinoa. Add to the skillet and mix together. Place in a bowl and add a sliced avocado.
- Eat up!