This past week we got hit with a snow storm and school has been closed for 2.5 days. Luckily I am tracked out, so I only missed one school day. Although our area did not receive a massive accumulation of snow and ice, there was enough to cause some concern and damage.
It was bitterly cold outside. These types of days where you can’t seem to get warm even when you have a nice fire going and you’re drinking hot tea, covered head-to-toe in your favorite winter pajamas and socks, are perfect for making a delicious vegetable soup! I have been tweeking my recipe for a while now, each time more perfect than the last. Ladies and gentlemen…I think I have finally officially perfected my vegetable soup. (Virtual high-five to me!) Not to mention my husband asked me to make another batch of this veggie soup for his lunches this week at work!
The most obvious reason why I love making vegetable soup, other than it being made of nutritious veggies, is the fact that it all goes in your slow cooker and you wait for it to be finished. You can use this time to complete a quick 20 minute yoga session or cardio workout, you can read that book that you keep staring at on the table, you can watch one of the documentaries I mention on my Author’s Choice page, or you can brave the cold weather and walk outside for a bit. The possibilities are endless!!
Give this recipe a shot and leave a comment to let me know what you guys think! I am always open for suggestions! Enjoy! 🙂
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes (I used Hunt’s)
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 3/4 cup of lentils
- 1/2 cup of diced onion
- 1 large white potato, peeled and quartered
- 2.5 cups of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh, minced garlic (garlic powder is okay if you have that)
- 2 tsp of garlic sriracha seasoning (you can use crushed red pepper or chili powder too)
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 1 fresh avocado
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce or Trader Joe’s Garlic Sriracha Sauce (optional)
- Drain black beans and corn. Place in slow cooker. Add can of diced fire roasted tomatoes to slow cooker (do not drain these; you will want the juices).
- Dice zucchini, potato, and onion. Add to slow cooker.
- Dice and mince the garlic. Add to slow cooker.
- Add the lentils to the slow cooker.
- Add the 2 cups of water. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic sriracha.
- Cook on low for 6 hours, stirring every 2 hours if possible.
- When the soup has about 30 minutes left, cook the rice in a pot over medium-high heat for about 20 minutes.
- Drain rice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place cooked rice in a bowl, layer the soup on top. Add fresh sliced avocado and a few dashes of hot sauce. *Sometimes I eat this with tortilla chips. Hhhmmmm 🙂