Since becoming a vegetarian, I have started to truly enjoy cooking. I was not much of a fan of cooking before and I definitely was no Gordon Ramsey in the kitchen. I have found that cooking vegetables, whole grains, legumes, etc is so much more fun than cooking meat because there are endless possibilities! I am constantly looking up new recipes to try and most of them are complete within 30 minutes or less! That is a major deal right there!
My Go-To Recipes:
Most of us do not have all day to spend in the kitchen preparing a delicious and healthy meal for our families. If you’re anything like me, you are out the door by 7am and do not return until about 5pm. When I return home, my daughter is simultaneously wanting to play and throw a fit. Therefore, I have really relied on simple, easy, and healthy recipes that can be ready and on the table by 6pm.
1. Veggie Burgers: There are endless possibilities for veggie burgers! You can put whatever you want in them! Even meat-lovers will fall head over heels for this burger! My husband says they are better than beef burgers! 🙂 I choose not to put my veggie burgers on bread buns, but if you prefer that option go ahead! Some of my favorites are:
– Black Bean Burgers: Pictured above I chose to garnish the patty with sauteed spinach and onion, instead of avocado. I didn’t have an avocado when I made this!
Serving: about 4 people (depends on your appetite
- 1 can of organic black beans (drained)
- 1 can of organic white corn (drained)
- 1/4 cup of organic white/sweet onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of Smart Balance butter
- 1 organic tomato
- 1 avocado
- fresh spinach
- organic white mushrooms
- Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cage-free egg
- 2 cloves of freshly minced garlic
- slices of dairy or non-dairy cheese (I like veggie cheese or Daiya vegan cheese)
- sunflower oil
- small dash of red pepper flakes
- other seasonings you prefer
Instructions: *If you do not have a food processor don’t worry! These ingredients can be mashed in a large bowl with a potato masher or a large spoon. You can always use your hands! 🙂
1. Place the drained black beans and corn in a food processor. Chop the mixture, but do not let it become completely pureed. You want a few whole beans and corn for texture.
2. Place the mushrooms in a small skillet over medium heat with a teaspoon of Smart Balance butter, salt, and pepper. If you prefer not to use butter, that’s fine! Mushrooms have their own delicious oils that allow them to develop their flavor once heated. Let simmer until lightly brown.
3. Mix the mushrooms, finely chopped onion, and minced garlic in the food processor with the black beans and corn. Chop. Leave whole pieces for texture.
4. Place mixture in bowl. Add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, other seasoning you prefer. Mix.
5. Add Panko breadcrumbs and one cafe-free egg. The amount of bread crumbs you use depends on your preference. Mix until the egg has dissolved into the mixture.
6. Make patties and place on a skillet over medium heat. When brown on the one side, flip the burger. Be careful not to break the patty. Once you flip, if you prefer cheese, add a slice to the patty.
7. After you flip the burger, place sliced tomatoes in a small skillet. Add pepper and basil with a little sunflower oil. These make for a great topping!
8. Place patty on plate with tomato garnish. Add slices of fresh avocado. Enjoy!
2. Breakfast Egg Muffins: Oh my gosh!!! So delicious and so incredibly easy to make! These will become your new favorite way to eat eggs! This is my spin on an omelet. I just can’t seem to make an omelet without breaking it when I flip it over. This solves that problem! 🙂
Serving: 1-2 people
- 5 or 6 cage-free eggs
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup of diced organic tomato
- 1/4 cup of shredded dairy cheese or vegan cheese
- Optional seasoning: garlic sriracha rub from Trader Joe’s (so delicious and a great way to incorporate a little heat into your food)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wipe cupcake pan with sunflower oil to prevent the eggs sticking to the pan.
2. Whisk all the eggs together in a medium size bowl. Add seasonings to taste.
3. While the oven is preheating, finely chop the onion and dice the tomatoes.
4. Pour eggs into pan, leaving about 1/4 of an inch from the top to add the onion, tomato, spinach, and cheese.
5. Add the onion, tomato, spinach, and cheese to each egg.
6. Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes, or once fluffy on the top.
7. Remove from oven. Feel free to add more cheese to the top if you enjoy cheesy goodness! Enjoy!
***I like to garnish mine with fresh avocado and sriracha sauce!
3. Delicious Quinoa Salad
This recipe is a perfect mixture of nutrients and absolute goodness! It will fill you up and give you energy!
Ingredients for quinoa salad:
- 2 cups of quinoa
- 1 can of white corn (drained)
- 1 can of black beans (drained)
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion
- 1 avocado
- 1 organic tomato (diced)
- sea salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste
- firm tofu (press tofu to release water at least 2 hours prior to cooking)
- corn starch
1. Slice tofu into small cubes. Toss in a bowl of corn starch. The corn starch allows for the tofu to become crispy. Once the tofu is coated, place in a medium size skillet on medium-high heat. Crisp tofu on each size until it has a golden brown texture.
2. Place about 2-3 cups of water in a medium size pot. Bring water to a boil. Place quinoa into pot. Stir occasionally for about 20 minutes.
3. Saute black beans, onion and corn in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste.
4. After the quinoa, black beans, onions, and corn are cooked, place in a bowl with the diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, and crispy tofu. Lastly, drizzle the lemon basil dressing over the top and enjoy!
Ingredients for Lemon Basil Dressing:
- 1 fresh lemon
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil (or olive oil)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until all the ingredients are mixed well. Taste and adjust flavors to your liking. Refrigerate until ready to use. Add this dressing to the top of the quinoa salad.